Sunday, June 16, 2013

BatRep 1250 - A good embarrassment??

Stolen shamelessley from ADHD gaming blog
  Well, it's been a while, but Devin and I finally got back together last wek to continue our escalation series.  To say he handed me my ass is a sort of kind to me.  But I walked away from this one feeling not too bad.  If I hadn't blown the roll for that Jaws of the World Wolf crap, I think it would have been a lot closer.

Sooo, I am a saaaad Necron.  But this too shall pass.

Here is a look at my army list.  I like it and I plan to use this core again in the future.

1250 Pts - Necrons Roster - Necron Force OU-812.3

HQ: Nemesor Zahndrekh (2#, 265 pts)
   1 Nemesor Zahndrekh, 185 pts
      1 Catacomb Command Barge, 80 pts

: Vargard Obyron (1#, 160 pts)
   1 Vargard Obyron, 160 pts

: Royal Court (2#, 85 pts)
   1 Royal Court, 0 pts
      1 Harbinger of Destruction, 35 pts = (base cost 25 + Harbinger of Destruction 10)
      1 Lord, 50 pts = (base cost 35 + Mindshackle Scarabs 15)

Troops: Warriors (11#, 230 pts)
   10 Warriors, 130 pts = 10 * 13
      1 Night Scythe, 100 pts

Troops: Warriors (5#, 65 pts)
   5 Warriors, 65 pts = 5 * 13

Troops: Warriors (5#, 65 pts)
   5 Warriors, 65 pts = 5 * 13

Troops: Immortals (5#, 85 pts)
   5 Immortals, 85 pts = 5 * 17

Heavy Support: Doomsday Ark (1#, 175 pts)
   1 Doomsday Ark, 175 pts

Fast Attack: Destroyers (2#, 120 pts)
   2 Destroyers, 120 pts = 2 * 40 (base cost 40) + Heavy Gauss Cannon x2 40

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com


Things I learned.

  • Zahndrekh in a CCB is a waste of 80 pts.  He didn't have a warscythe, so no douche-canoe action here. 
  • The 5 man warrior squads were fun, but not effective.  In the beginning, I sacrificed a squad to tie up up the nut-job of the Space Wolves, nigel ninnyhammer(Njal), but they only lasted maybe 2 turns.
  • Doomsday ark is fun, even when it dies early.
  • Need more than 2 destroyers...
  • Screw reserves.  I have never not had them come in on turn 4.  Never again.

So here is how it went, briefly.

I deployed first (Bad thing, the long fangs got the bead on the doomsday ark) but I also got to go first.  The mission was standard deployment, Big Guns Never Tire.  Pretty straightforward.  As you can see from the pics, I tried to spread out his forces so I could use my mobility (from the destroyers and Obyron's teleporting) to be "firstest with the mostest"



Well, things got off to a really bad start.  The Doomsday Ark rolled boxcars for the scatter on turn 1 and things never really got better.  Although in turn 2, before it died to the fangs, it did decimate one squad of greasy, dog-smelling meat sacks.

The worm really turned when the amazing space wolf Njal StormSlapper-super-power-wonder-woman did his "look-die" (JotWW) psychic attack and managed to get Obyron in his sights.  Amazing how a zero point power can wipe out a 3 wound HQ unit with a blink of an eye.  Although I should have read the SW FAQ to find out that he has to have LoS for that one.  <sigh>  But these are SW and they have their limits too. 

I can honestly say I'm not that bummed about losing this one since I stopped making dumb mistakes (CC with Necrons etc) and stuck to a plan, for a change.  In fact, if the JotWW hadn't caught me out, I would have made it a lot closer than it was.  Still a loss, but my setup was bad...  But at least it wasn't totally embarrassing.  I stuck to a plan and it almost worked...

Pics follow.  Now with less crotch shots...

Remember Necron kiddies, don't fight Space Wolves until their codex gets nerfed... 

 The board and the terrain. 

 Trying to dominate the center.  I read in a chess book that that was a good idea...  LOL

 Going for objectives and flanking the wolfie meat sacks
 The meat sacks leave their Rhino
 Yeah, that’s my scarifice squad going against nigel ninnyhammer and a full squad of SW meat sacks.  This would not end well...
 See?  I told you, this would not go well.
 Amazing bad luck for Devin, the Rhino immobilizes right in front of me.
 Hey wait a minute... destroyers in CC?  Something is not right.  (Yeah, my die rolling :)
 The last two on the right flank, they held out like good necrons, but the smell of the meat sacks was too much.
 Space Wolves all dancing and happy around the objective yelling things like "we win... lets pick daisies" and "Oh boy, does this mean we can paint the kitchen now?"

  The game was a lot of fun, and although at times it seemed like a rout, it was pretty tight until Obyron died.  I got to do a lot of Space Wolves whining and generally had fun.  Made homemade pizza too, how bad could that be??

1 comment:

  1. It was an awesome game! I had a ton of fun. I basically put the points heavy into 3 HQ and the Long fangs and gave what was left to the two Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos. Although still no advancement on their paint jobs, I might base them with some flowers... ;) lol. My strategy was to take out the Doomsday Ark and that was pretty much it besides charging in like foolhardy glory-hungry-martyr space wolves.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.