Monday, March 17, 2014

Imperial Knight Build - Day 4

  Well, it was an unfortunately short painting day for a sunday.  NASCAR and Formula 1 racing took alot of my day and then the plumbing backed up.  UGH!  Still, I did get some airbrushing done on the armor...

  Well, here is the overview of the progress thus far.  I am going with Xereus Purple and the Fang for the main colors.  Oddly enough, I am going to make this a House Hawkshroud Knight, but i don't like yellow (The color or painting it...).  In my fluff, This Knight has been on an extended mission for over 50 years.  I figure in that time, and with his penchant for pinpoint night raids, he toned down the bright yellow.
   I have fallen in love with the Sotar 20/20 airbrush (Thanks Carl!!).  The pinpoint control, as well as my ever increasing airbrush skills, makes it my go to brush for detail work.  Getting a good mix and thinning on the paint and spraying with a low air pressure seems to be the real key with this brush.
  This is the result of the first go on the purple.  For me, this is very little overspray. :)
  Once again, I used the silly putty to mask everything, although I didn't get many pictures of it. I rolled out the silly putty into a thin strip and then used it to mask the lines.  The nice part was being able to use sculpting tools to push it down to make the seal, but also to move it around to better conform to what I wanted painted.
    And again, the finished results.  One thing to remember if you use Silly Putty to mask.  It does flow, and it does not take long to start that flowing process.  Do not mask something and then come back in an hour, the putty will have flowed a bit and you will not get the results you expected.  But if you are going to mask then go right to painting, it's brilliant!  Thank you Les Bursley!!!

  Hopefully, more tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Meant to leave a comment in the previous post. Really like how you used the sprue as a holder for the parts. Did you use poster tac to attach the cut sprue and armour plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sure did. I just hack off some decently straight sprue and use the poster tac to hold them on. I used some bent sprue pieces for the shoulders because I knew I'd be turning them to different angles and the bend helps me get to the details easier.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bill, first time in these parts, love what you did with your knight! Just wanted to ask if you can re-use the silly putty after its been sprayed on? Does it just get rolled back up with all the paint or can you clean it? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, I use it over and over. The paint does stick to it, but as you knead it to soften it up for the next use, it just sort of flakes away or gets absorbed. I have been using the same 2 "eggs" worth for years now.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.