Sunday, March 16, 2014

Imperial Knight Build - Day by day

  So, what do you do when you have a brand new Knight Titan and a a night or two to fart around with?  You build the damn thing.  I thought I might start a log of my progress just for fun...  Here goes...

Build Day...

  This thing build like a dream.  The instructions are pretty clear and the model is VERY well done.  Hardly any mold lines too.  Super easy and very customizable.  They show you in the instructions where not to put glue, and you should pay attention to that.  I decided to build mine with the body and Melta gun facing to the right a bit, I like the look of it.  The only things I left moveable were the arms, the ion shield and the stubber.
   The four major sub assemblies and the base.  I didn’t glue the torso to the legs until it was primed, as I felt it would be easier to prime in chunks.

All the parts primed.  Yay.  Build complete.

The painting days are after the jump break...


Paint - Day One



  All I got done that night was to basecoat the skeleton with Badger Minitaire Gun Alloy metallic paint.  I know, the GW literature says to use Leadbelcher, but I like the minitaire gun alloy better.  It has a very bright metal look, but it has the slight blue tint that makes it look more like metal.  Some important tips here, don't spray a heavy coat!!!  Use very light coats of this stuff, otherwise it pools up.  Also, spray it at a slightly higher PSI than you might be used to (I used 28 PSI).

Paint - Day Two




 Again, this was only a an hour or so I had to spare, so I was just able to get the first coat of dark wash on it.  This is good old GW's Nuln Oil.  I laid it on thick and heavy.

Paint - Day Three


   The final coat of wash.  This was Liquitex Payne's Grey thinned WAY down to wash consistency.  I like this wash because it darkens up a metallic paint really well, without tinting it like the GW washes do (and quite frankly, so do most washes I have ever bought from anywhere.)
   Most of the detail work done.
Pistons are piston-ized...

   And the eyes have it...  I kinda like the eyes...

  The skeleton is done.  The weapon arms still need to be finished but I'm calling it done except for final details. 

  Well, that’s it for now...  stay tuned for the thrilling (I hope) conclusion, and maybe a cliffhanger or two...

2 comments:

  1. Love your tool holder. Using a half-jawed cuticle and full-jawed nail clipper must be terribly helpful. Thought about purchasing a set for my modelling tools. Think I will now.

    Great work on the model. Assembling the body without plates and painting it first. Have the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tool rack in the shot is from Back-2-Bas-ix. They make great stuff, and the modular sections are all magnetized. Very high quality.

    The idea for the build on the titan came from the series of videos that Duncan Rhodes did on the GW youtube page. Great videos, actually.

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.