Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Garro - Knight Errant - An Audiobook Review

  This is a bit of a departure for me, I don't normally review non-gamey things, but this was something I really enjoy(ed).

  If you're not familiar with the black library audio line, let me describe.  They have audiobooks, which are narrations of the different print books in their line.  A very handy way to 'read' a book if you have a long commute or other times that you have to devote to listening while you do other things.  The audio dramas, on the other hand, are small (1 hour-ish) plays like old time radio shows.  I find most of the audio dramas to be cracking good and I have my fair share of them.

  I'm also a big fan of Nathaniel Garro (a former captain of the Death Guard Legion, survivor of Isstvan III, hero of the Eisenstein and all around good guy.)  This boxed set is all 6 of the currently released Garro audio dramas, and I really enjoy each of them.  At $80 (US) it's a bit pricey, but the single dramas in the series range in price from $4 to $30, so you do a get a decent enough break on the 6-pack.  You also get the script of each drama and some bonus wallpapers.  All of the dramas are written by James Swallow, and he is a damned fine author, IMHO.

  The dramas take you along the path he treads after the events of the Eisenstein all the way up to him involved with the founding of the "secretive order dedicated to the eradication of chaos" *cough*Grey Knights*cough*...

  As much as I would love to tell the story of the Knight Errant, it would spoil it for those how have not heard it, let me just say that the story arc across the 6 books is at once exciting, uplifting and sort of gut wrenching too.  Garro has to make some weighty decisions along the way and some are pretty tough.

  Technically, these audio dramas show marked improvement along the arc.  They mirror the production value of all the black library dramas.  In the beginning ones, the sound effects are a little cheesey and the editing is a bit wonky here and there.  As they go on, they get better and better until in the final story, they are really very professional and well done.

  The stories pull you in and really make you root for the 'good guys'.  I have to say, my personal favorite is "Legion of One", mostly because of the really cool character who makes a come-back.  The stories are all set in the Horus Heresy era, so they fit in with the times nowadays.

  So, if you have put off these audio dramas, I would urge you to take a listen to one that covers something you like.  They are a bit pricey, but they are good, and you really can listen to them over and over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.