Saturday, December 9, 2017

In defense of the Battle Journal!

   Ok, my first post in a while that is not a video, but it still may become one...   I'm here today to defend a product.  A Games Workshop product.  Yes, we all know that I am the #1 defender of GW stuff, and that I may be slightly biased, but I'm serious.  And no, this is not a teary-eyed plea to "leave them alone".

  It is however, a plea to some in the community of 40k and AoS to step back and think about these books.  Most of the criticism I hear about these books is coming from folks who are good at the game they play.  If you're one of those, think about how you got good in the first place...

  I will venture to say that you did something along these lines...  You played a lot, you are (or were) young enough to have a good mind and memory for these games  You learned from your games and figured out how to not make mistakes with deployment, movement, positioning etc.  You also probably have a knack for this sort of thing.

  Now, put yourself into my shoes, or some newbies shoes.  Some of us don't have time to play 5 games a week, let alone 5 games a month. 

  For us mere mortals, having a record of what happened, what we did wrong (or maybe right) is huge boon to our gaming.  Some of us are learning new armies and are just starting to make new mistakes.  Having a place to record all these things is a huge help.  I'm trying to juggle my reasonably active work schedule, a podcast, occasional videos, NEO work etc.  I am also OLD and cannot remember what I had for lunch, let alone what I did wrong in game one of the Slobberknocker GT.  Having these books to jot down my notes and my mistakes is a huge help.

  I have often mentioned to James that what makes him so much better than me at AoS is that he never makes the same mistake twice.  I tend to do the same dumb things several times until I remember not to do it again.  Writing down my notes is helping me become a better player and a better opponent to the folks I see at tournaments. 

  So, all you good players out there, when you see me writing in my journal, trying to become a little bit better at the game, don't make fun of me.  (well, actually, go ahead, I don't mind.).  Just understand that this product is not aimed at you, it's aimed at me, the casual guy who wants to give you a better game one of these days.

  Oh yeah, and if you ever forget what turn it is, or who went first, expect me to call you out and laugh at you and make fun of you!!!  Because I wrote it down and I KNOW what turn it is ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.