Monday, November 18, 2013

Space Battleship Yamato... And a PK-PRO mini-holder!

  Before Robotech, there was Star Blazers!  This was one of my favorite shows ever, before Anime was cool, it was what I ran home from school for.  Well, lo and behold, I was looking around the interwebs and I found a 1/500 model kit for the ship.  I just got it in the mail the other day and is it ever cool.  Can't wait to build this bad boy and get it on display (somewhere...) First done in 1974, it really did lay the groundwork for a lot of the space anime that was to come.

  There is a much bigger model of this ship (1/350) and it has sound and motion, but also a $400-500 price tag.  Sheeeesh.

  This plastic model is really well done by Bandai.  The instructions are totally in Japanese, but I found a site that had them all scanned in and translated to english.  Woooot!  The turrets all rotate and the pieces are really beautifully done.  They are molded in colors, but it will get a paint job, that's for sure.  I'm also pretty sure I will be getting another light kit from PoweredPlay Gaming to light this bad boy up.

  Also, I picked up this pretty cool mini holder from PK-PRO in Germany.  It's quite cool, but this is a lousy picture.  It is a nice, ceramic base with a split cork in the center.  The metal rod wraps around and gives you a VERY comfortable place to rest your fingers, not on the mini, marring up the paint job.  The split cork is very nice, because you can put the pin (if you pin your figs to the bases) into the split and it holds it very securely.  You can also just glob on the hobby-tac as well.
  Not a great image, but I will be putting up more about it.

  And one last Star blazers image...






2 comments:

  1. +1 for the mini holder - I love them. You can also use the metal bar to steady your brush when doing very fine details like eyes or freehand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, that holder is very quickly becoming my favorite item!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.