Thursday, June 10, 2010

The future comes, in some ways, quickly...

In some ways, the world is becoming very advanced.  I have to admit to being a computer nerd/geek/pundit since I can remember.  If you want to see my history with computers, here is the story. The things that we have seen in the last few years really amaze me sometimes.  We are catching up with science fiction in so many ways, even though we seem to be earth-bound without hope of exploring space anytime soon, but that is a rant for another day.

Think about it, we have communicators from star trek, we're starting to get tri-corders and I work for the company who will one day bring you the death star :)  (I work for the DOD in the Missile Defense Agency's Directed Energy program, we just successfully tested the first Airborne Laser against a bad guy Missile.)

Well, if you're like me, you watched the movie Minority Report and saw Tom Cruise using that amazing computer interface, where he just gestured and things moved around on the screen.  I know I loved that interface, even more than Hugh Jackman's computer in Swordfish. Well, here is the news... it's real.  That interface from Minority Report was, and is real.  The guy who did the tech consulting for the movie is really a Professor who does this for a living.  He recently gave a talk at TED which I will link for you here.



John Underkoffler points to the future of UI

If you think we have a future that isn't filled with civil war, zombies or alien invasions, watch this and be impressed, then wait, like me, for this to happen :)

God I can't wait for the future... oh hell, it's here now.  my iPad is calling, gotta go.

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.