Sunday, March 29, 2015

Citadel Crusader Case - Cool!

  Hey folks!  Just a quick review of the new Mini case from Citadel. 

  I asked the folks at my FLGS to get me one of the crusade cases, and it arrived yesterday (Friday).  I have to say, I am impressed.  When I first saw it, my reaction was, “wow, that’s smaller than I thought”  But just like the TARDIS, it’s smaller on the outside!!

  So, overall first impressions.  It’s a sturdy plastic that has a little ‘give’ to it, but it is not bendy.  It is nice and tough and has reinforcement where it really needs.  The D-Rings for the shoulder straps are molded in, not snap in, so that’s a plus.  The latches are also a lot nicer than the old ones.  Another nice feature, it only opens to a certain point then is stopped from going further.  Nice to know you wont have the lid let go and crush your (or a friends) minis after they are on the table.

  Now, what about this new, wavy, nested foamy thing inside?  Yes, I saw the video of how it works on the GW Youtube page, but seeing it in person has made a believer out of me.

  I am a long time user of KR Cases and foam.  I love their systems and the way they make things work.  I do not see that changing any time soon.  But I can say I will be adding this case to my game day carry.

  The wavy foam is very nice for holding minis and as a bonus, as you add more minis, it makes the foam ‘form’ around the minis even more for a nicer fit.  You can also lay minis down if they have long weapons/banners/poles etc.  Because the wavy foam is not glued to the bottom, you can stretch it to fit around anything from a snotling to a dreadnought.  Even vehicles can be wiggled into the foam and protected.

  In one of the pictures, you can see how I took my “high” models (Catacomb command barge and ghost ark) and put them in, then flipped the wavy foam over the fit over the protruding parts.  I’m not sure if they meant for that to work, but it does, and it’s an option.

  So, in summary, these are nice cases and they come in at a price point that is very competitive with other systems out there.  Highly cool, IMHO.

  I have not checked to see if they will fit in an airline overhead bin or under a seat, I don’t have spare airliners around :)

  So, check them out, they do not suck!  They are quite useful, I would think.


  Pictures and such after the break, click below :)


   The case only opens to a certain point.  The wavy foam is kind of nice.  In this shot I have the right side foam upside-down to protect the parts that stick up.
   Tough D-Rings molded on, not snap in
   The latches are sturdy too
Figs sit in the foam either on the base or lain down to protect longer items.
  Even larger models will sit in the foam and be protected.
  There are 4 double trays in the crusade case, lots of room!
All in all, pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, positive or negative. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Thanks for your thoughts, always much appreciated.